Definition of tutoring
Support is any act of teaching and learning aimed at helping learners to master the knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, skills in work methodology or thinking strategies that are used after a process of teaching and prior learning that has not fully achieved its objectives. Thus, this definition orients the approach primarily towards supporting learners who conclude that there are learning gaps, and thus exclude senior learners from their circle of interest, knowing that it is possible to consider reinforcing procedures to those learners who help them to go further in achievement and learning.
Supporting learners who have identified learning gaps in particular and who excel in pursuing their excellence is a requirement of learners, teachers, parents, the school and society in general. It is a right for them, and the school must do it in order to carry out educational work that elevates the person to higher levels in the process of developing their intellectual, emotional, social, sensory and kinetic preparations.
Forms of tutoring
Support takes different forms:
- Feedback : Provide the learner with the test with reference to errors and ask him to correct them himself or by questioning his answers with the correct answers. This is about motivating the learner and rewarding him by increasing his grades when he corrects his mistakes. It is very useful for the learner to be aware of his mistake in order to overcome it. The teacher can reassuringly ask the learner to explore their way of thinking and their work, if necessary, in order to find the barrier to their learning as an introduction to help them overcome it.
- Support by repetition or by carrying out additional activities :
Ask the learner to review the material and activities of the skill / objective not acquired.
Repeat the teacher’s explanation of the topic.
Asking a learner who is proficient in the material to help a learner who is not proficient in the material and to ensure that he or she has mastered it.
Completion of complementary activities and exercises: the learner implements them alone under the supervision of the teacher or parents or with the help of colleagues.
- Support in the adoption of personalized teaching-learning strategies :
An acquired learner adopts the goals and skills of another who has not achieved these goals. The learning assistant comes from the same class, from a higher class, or even from outside the school (Tutoring / Tutoring).
Watch specialized programs on a computer (programmed instruction) or watch programs on school television.
Participation in an educational workshop (especially in languages), participation in a play, preparation of an article …
Read help books.
Benefits of tutoring
- Increase the opportunities of the educational institution in the field of generalization of the achievement of its objectives.
- Reducing the process of delay, repetition and dropping out of school, and consequently its financial cost and its negative effects.
- Mitigate the effects of individual differences, working to smooth them out, which facilitates the educational process for teacher and learners.
- Speed up the teaching and learning process because all learners keep pace without delay, due to the increased responsiveness of learners, who are supported, to the process.
- Create a positive and loving atmosphere in the school, which gives it a family atmosphere in which cooperation and concerted efforts prevail for the success of all.
- Develop learners’ self-confidence and improve the image of the school in their eyes.